History of Valley School
Valley School of Ligonier was founded in 1946 by Constance Prosser Mellon and General Richard King Mellon. On September 24, 1947, the doors opened for 43 children. Mrs. Mellon envisioned Valley as a nurturing community where students build their academic skill and learn to become responsible and compassionate adults. She felt that children learn best in small classes with skilled teachers who know and care about each child. She wanted a school with students from diverse backgrounds and she made sure that tuition was moderate and financial aid was available. An athlete, Mrs. Mellon knew the benefits of physical fitness and team play. Hoping children would feel at home in nature, she selected the School's 400 acre wood setting.